This article was also published on HandbagFairy.com
Ok sweeties, fasten your seat belts; the Christmas party season is almost here! Yes, I know it feels like it was summer yesterday, but the forecast is for snow next week so I suggest you starting planning your Christmas social timetable by thinking about what to wear. You don’t want your fashion savvy sisters to leave you looking drab on the dance floor do you?
So, first off, beg, borrow or steal an oversized shopper preferably with shoulder straps. The Mulberry Bayswater in suede-lined leopard print leather is to die for; there are 3 pockets and belt straps making it extra roomy. The camel colourway is a cool £1,650. Of course there are more affordable bags around!
Inside your bag, you need the ‘Seven Vital Things’
Make up bag with holiday-size lipstick/gloss, cheek gleem, mascara
Brush or comb
Heels (scarlet heels are hot now)
Teeny nail varnish (Mavala and Bourjois do dinky sizes)
Travel toothbrush/paste (Superdrug)
Handbag sized perfume spray
If you’ve worn flat/chunky boots to work, heels will draw a line between work and play. Shoe-boots are a fabulous compromise. So, what to wear? Pack your bag the night before to avoid a crazy lunch-time shopping splurge. What to pack for your post-work/pre-Christmas drinks?
• Short fake fur jacket – ‘leopard’ is hot right now Topshop, Miss Selfridge and Warehouse all have gorgeous versions in the shops, ranging from £85 – £200. The toasty warmth of a fake fur also means you can get away with wearing something sexier and more sheer underneath, without dying of hypothermia!
• Oversized masculine wool cardigan Head to Marks and Spencer to nail this look, you’ll end up with some quality knitwear as well as being on trend
• Shorts – if you dare! – (if you like your pins, why not try red, plum or silver opaques; American Apparel has killer hosiery)
• Shimmery bronze/silver vest top – check out Oasis and Banana Republic for these.
• Clingy little dress – Beverley Knight is the face of risefashion.co.uk which has pretty cocktail dresses that would survive a day gently rolled if you can’t hang up your frock. Statement earrings are a must, as is a glamourous clutch. If you’re not a clutch sort of girl, a ‘cross the body’ bag is great for stashing the essentials. I love Accessorize’s silvery gunmetal grey bag, a steal at just £28.00 and River Island’s golden clutch £34.00 (look.co.uk)
You look amazing!
For more fashion insights check out The Handbagfairy.com
Photograph of bag: John Lewis online
Photo of Beverley Knight courtesy of risefashions.co.uk